Sunday, December 9, 2012

i was in the grocery store the other day.  i was looking for organic peanut butter.  my eye landed on apple jelly.  and i felt such a surge of emotions that i started to cry a little.  just a little because i got it under control.  but the actual urge was to put my head in my hands and sob.  and it was absolutely the apple jelly.  i was rushed back to breakfast in the 70s and 80s.  hotels.  diners.  those little plastic individual containers of jams and jellies.  sometimes honey too.  but for some reason the apple jelly held all the emotion for me. like a physical reminder of a simpler time.  a time when there was less to worry about.  when other's still took care of me.  when all i needed to decide was what i wanted on my toast.  i'm not sure it was sadness making me cry, just raw emotion.  the love of a childhood and youth and a carefree young twenty-something.  i'm not even sure why i'm writing about this, except that as soon as it happened, i thought, 'i'll have to put this in my blog'.  

today, we are once again having an open house.  the little white house at 55 mowat ave in portsmouth village, filled to the brim with goodness.  quilts and napkins, vintage books and sterling jewelry.  lovely gifts for the people dear to you.  come by today, december 9th.  we'll be there from 10 am until 5 pm.  

12 comments:

  1. Don't worry Annette. You will still have apple jelly times where you are cared for and about. I love those little jars too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how something so small can bring back such raw emotions. I remember the packets too. I always loved the strawberry. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is crazy isn't it. and i don't even remember apple being my favorite

      Delete
  3. Powerful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine: Walking down an aisle in a supermarket and smelling Cashmere Bouquet Powder (someone had dropped a canister and it broke as it hit the ground - filling the air with the scent) My Ouma was suddenly right there. I was playing with my sister and my cousin and she was standing watching us. Her grey hair and soft blue eyes, her smile, her joy at the fact that we loved playing with the rag dolls she had made us. An olfactory time travelling experience... a gift.
    Thank you ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, the power of scent. the wonder of reliving moments with our beloved grandparents. amazing!

      Delete
  5. I do get like this sometimes too Annette. It can start just by something very simple, like apple jelly...

    big hug and lots of luck on your sale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me and my family were in your shop a few weeks back purchasing a lap quilt for my mom. We had a wonderful time. Thanks. My son was super stoked to see the old rolling poodle that he played with pictured here today. He couldn't remember it's name and pleaded with me to write and ask.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi jamie.....her name is 'pearl'.
    it was so lovely meeting you guys. and i love that your son recognized her!!!!
    hopefully we'll see each other again soon.

    ReplyDelete