Thursday, November 17, 2011

my kitchen smells of the ymca pool. humid and echo-y. the 1970s. a child standing under a weak shower surrounded by naked women of all ages and sizes. heavy wet hair hanging down my back. and the huge windowless room full of pool and tile and tepid water, soaked in the scent of chlorine. my kitchen carries it all back to me in a rush this morning. i washed the floor with bleach and the scent is just strong enough to take me back to my 10 year old self, swimming at the ymca.

6 comments:

  1. lovely writing...
    its true .smells and scents are
    so connected with our memories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just devoured your last four posts (busy busy here) they have soothed me and calmed me and echoed my very deepest sentiments. We really do need to go within don't we? Remembering somehow, to take the time to find a stillness and let all that surrounds us just soak in. After all how can a serendipitous chlorine filled moment take us anywhere if we don't stop and breathe it in? As always... thank you. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your teapot.
    Hope you are feeling better.
    Smell is a wonderful sense...it provokes such emotions and memories.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. trish...that teapot was by the kitchen door to go over to the studio, but it made the perfect picture.
    bpp....i love knowing you read my little online ramblings.
    demie....xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. My memories of pool/bleach smell are my middle school swim class and the awkward puberty days.

    Smell is such a strong force to bring about memories.

    Love your teapot!!

    ReplyDelete