Monday, September 19, 2011

my studio gives me many gifts. the space to create the chaos. and walk away from it. the chance to embrace my own design process. and it allows me the luxury of going to work in my pyjamas. and the option to run home and take edgar for a walk when i think he might be restless. but one of my favorite of it's gifts is the chance to completely engage a part of myself that i have only found in the past decade. my love of color and fabric and combining it all in quilts didn't emerge until relatively recently. my home is gray and dark and warm and womblike. with dusty books and monotone paintings. it is the palette that comforts me. and now i punctuate that palette with quilts. but my studio and the accompanying shop is a dream of color that i can swim through every day. happy and eager to play. the narrative of color and quilts is real to me and i love the story that forms as i work. i love the gifts of the studio.

6 comments:

  1. No doubt your attitude of appreciation and gratitude infuses your work as well. This can surely only enhance creativity can it not? I have a spacious house - but no studio....yet. Thank you for giving me images and words that inspire me to design and visualise my future studio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing space!! I must admit, though - going to work in your pajamas, that's the best!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is so wonderful that you have found this space you can walk into (literally and metaphorically) where such an important part of yourself comes to life and creates warmth and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that I finally got to see your studio. Such a creative place. Sitting there in the morning waiting for you was beautiful and I couldn't help but create too. But most of the time I just wandered around looking at what you had made- I can do my thing at home but I only had a little time to soak in your wonderful studio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when i grow up i want to be you! ( hoping is not too late already...)
    except of your work i admire you for your discipline. is absolutely necessary when one works alone and (almost) at home. you know i adore your studio : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for all your lovely comments. i love writing my personal little observations and perspectives on life. but when you let me know you are interested....it makes it even a better experience. thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete